We were in my favorite store Target on Sunday and we have been rolling in with two kids in the cart and one strapped in to the seat. It's an adorable scene. (But I try to ignore the "WOW! You've got your hands full!" comments) So we were checking out and Jake was throwing a fit because buddy was squished with diapers and food. The cashier said to us as we were walking away, "Maybe it's time for him to get out and walk." I almost lost my shit. As in I saw red. I turned around and in a matter of seconds I had the most self control I have ever had in my life. Instead of saying anything, I walked away. I said to Bobby right away, "Did you freaking hear that? Who does she think she is?" When I got in the car I was thinking how I was glad I didn't say anything but then felt like I let myself down and more importantly, Jake. My boy. On one hand people don't understand and are ignorant and I'm not sure what I expect--but on the other hand, I find myself in more and more situations where I am not sure how to react. When someone says to Jake, "What's your name?" I always answer for him. I have asked my besties recently if people know. I know that people know but I don't know how to say something that gives enough meaning to the words that I speak about him because Jake is so much more than "special needs". Giving him that label isn't good enough for my Jake. So I will wonder and think until I can find a string of words that I feel describes him. I don't want to be felt sorry for. I don't want him to feel like he is not good enough-or that special needs defines him....because I still don't know how much he really understands. Special needs isn't an ugly group of words-it's not scary--and it doesn't define that person. It's just something extra special these people are blessed with and an incredible gift that is given to the people around them. Still-I wish I would have been able to say something short, meaningful, and honest about my boy. This was just practice and I will perfect it for the next time.
Avery and Brooks have been doing SOOOO much! I cannot believe how fast they are growing. They aren't babies anymore. We have two toddlers. They aren't sleeping through the night yet...but the last week and a half they have only been getting up once which has been great! Avery has three of the four top teeth and Brooklynn has two of the top four. They are eating like maniacs and have refused to eat any baby food purees I was trying to finish up, the last few weeks. I'm not really sure how much Brooklynn eats (we have to keep an eye on her) but she always seems to be eating when I look at her and then I see what's left in her high chair and I'm not sure. Avery eats every last crumb of everything. Her latest favorites are cutie oranges, green beans, and ANY kind of fruit-but especially blueberries. Brooklynn loves baby Goldfish and bagels (thanks to Auntie Kelley for the suggestion!!!). Brooklynn has been standing up without holding on better than Avery has! It's a little celebration for the tiny one. She had the best therapy session ever on Monday. She always refused to walk more then a few steps while holding on to a walker but on Monday sister rocked it. She walked around the whole house for 15 minutes straight. She's so tiny that it still seems unnatural. Her goal this week is to keep walking with the walker and because she is an expert at crawling up the stairs, she is working on stepping up the stairs with support. Holy cow. She's incredible. Brooklynn is always willing to give a snuggle and is the first to come when you call her. She is my bonus baby. The one I can't live without.
Avery is my girl. She is a mama lover. She is my blanket-loving, good eater, drama queen. She takes after me. She keeps me laughing all day long. She has been doing so much lately but most excitingly, she started taking independent steps last week! She took four steps and it was a total accident but this week it is purposeful. She is getting so bold! Yesterday we started having her walk between us and each time she is consistently walking 2-3 steps alone! Listen, I know this is all "average" and everything but I cannot contain my excitement. I feel like a first time mom. She is also walking to and from toys. For a while she was thinking it was funny to walk a few steps but now sister is serious and on a roll. Just amazing.
Last Sunday I ran the Cherry Creek Sneak with my friend Bre and had the best time! We have been running every weekend to work up to this run. I am so proud of myself! I feel so accomplished because it was hard. I ran only 6 times and then ran the whole 5K (sounds better than 3.1 miles, huh?) in 33 minutes which was better than my goal. It feels so good to do something for myself. I was so wrapped up in my babies/pumping...hell, just surviving, that now I can finally enjoy doing things that I loved before my two little peas came along. I can't wait for the next one.
Avery on the left and Brooks on the right
Just trouble.
Brooklynn. :)
My little standing tiny peanut.
Avery on the left and Brooklynn on the right.
Just walking. Just 'nother day. LOVE.


No comments:
Post a Comment