Yes, I found someone finally-at 4 p.m. on Friday before I was starting school on Monday! I really like her. She is personable, has a few kids Jake's age, and she is on my way to work. She runs a licensed daycare and seems to have kids who are happy. A total bonus-they have a cat and a dog which about put Jake over the edge with excitement when we first walked in! "Eowww Eowww" is what he said the whole time the kitty was rubbing my leg during our first meeting. The first day was rough-tears from both of us. :( I called 1/2 way through the day (after I assured her I wasn' one of those parents) and she said he was sad in the morning and not having any of one of the little girls rubbing his back and giving him toys (so cute!). She said the little girl was "in his bubble" but oddly enough J loved her 7 year old son.
He is adjusting to sleeping on their nap schedule (once a day) and is eating well (although she asked if he could feed himself because she had to feed him the first day-that's my boy-testing boundaries!) and is even eating some meat. He is obviously giving me a run for my money with food at home. Silly boy. The best moment of my day-week-even year possibly, was when I picked him up! It was like CHRISTMAS! He gave me a hug, squeezing my neck SO tightly and would pull back and look at my face, giggle, and go right back in for a huge squeeze. I literally could not have asked for anything more. It was perfect. Absolutely perfect.
The next day was terror when I handed him over-he clearly remembered what it meant when I handed him over. I left quickly with only a welled-up tear in my eye this time. I picked him up and he was equally excited to see me. I could get used to this. :) She asked me if he gets over stimulated and needs to have his own time for a while-and I wanted to say no but thinking about it...he was home with me for almost 6 weeks and when there is a lot going on, a lot of new kids, new people and noise, he is going to get overwhelmed and cry. It breaks my heart but this will be good for him to get some coping skills and work on self-soothing so we are jumping right in and hoping for the best! 4 days in and things are getting "easier" each day. He seems happy when I pick him up so that is all I can ask for. I hope he starts to feel more comfortable and starts to enjoy his days more. It will all come with time and we know that.
On another note, he was fitted for sure-steps and for AFO's on Monday. Like I said before, we pay the upfront cost and then get reimbursed for what we pay. It was interesting when they made the cast. Keep in mind that he still hates being on his tummy...he had to be on his tummy for 15 minutes while the cast hardened. It was rather funny with Bobby and I trying to entertain him when he was clearly not having it. His sure-step straps on his foot to straighten his ankles and the AFO goes up his leg to his knee to help him with balance. They say they have seen some HUGE improvements with some kids so hopefully this will be the case with little man. I got to pick out the patterns for his AFO and sure step and I picked a jungle pattern. I will take a picture when we get them in about 3 weeks. WITH insurance the total cost is $1200! Sadly, these sure-steps only last about 1 year. Because he is not walking and it is considered assistive help, federal money will pay for it. If he needs a new sure-step in a year and he IS walking the cost will be on us for about $600 (assuming he doesn't need the AFO as well). YIKES! Obviously we will figure it all out...we always have (but could never do it without such amazing emotional and financial support from all of you). The best part is he also gets to get new shoes-and the sporty ones won't really fit his foot with the sure-step and AFO so we get to buy some "skater" shoes! (According to his orthopedist this is the best kind of shoe!) I'm thinking some more mini Marc Echo shoes like he had before! So dang cute.
For now he is a happy and adjusting kid-and that is perfect with us!
No comments:
Post a Comment