Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Good news but a sick babe...

Friday was a LONG day....very long. Beginning at 6:15 am (WHY couldn't that have been the day he slept in?!) we were entertaining like crazy. Time upstairs, downstairs, the bath, our bathroom, bed, and everywhere in between. Luckily 11:15 came and Aunt Meghan and I were on our way for a 12 appointment and a 1:00 surgery. He was so silly that I hardly think he noticed that he didn't eat for hours and hours. We had some fun playing and then it was time to go back to get the dreaded gas. I had already decided that from my previous experience I wanted NO part of going back with him while he falls asleep from the gas (ie rolls his eyes back in his head and becomes dead weight) so I handed him off to a rather indifferent nurse. While I'm sure she is a lovely person, she neglected to remember that she was taking my baby from me without so much as a kiss goodbye from him. I mean, this isn't my first rodeo, but just because I know what to expect doesn't mean that I am not still a nervous, emotional, scared parent. I don't even remember if I got to give him a kiss because I was so anxious that she wasn't going to let me and it all happened so fast-she was walking with a tearful Jake down the hall with both Meghan and I a crying mess in the room. I am SO thankful and appreciative that she was there-more than I can say.

After a quick bite to eat and some gossip magazines it had been about 2 hours and they said all was done! Before going back with him, a audiologist nurse told us that he had passed the hearing test with flying colors except for low frequencies, which could be due to the "trauma" of getting new tubes in his ears just prior to the 90 minute hearing test. Later his ENT told us he had tubes put in, lots of thick fluid was cleaned and suctioned out from his ear canal, and his adenoids were also removed. His adenoids were big and angry looking so she was glad that she decided to take them out. The biggest issue of the day was getting him to come out of being under. IT TOOK FOREVER!! He was so, so, so out of it. It seems like the more of these we have, the harder it is for him to come to. :( He slept for quite a while-a couple of hours while getting O2 as well. He came in with 94% O2 and they wanted him to leave at 94%. He finally ate a whole bag of crackers and drank some water. He kept dipping his O2 so the mentioned a few times about keeping him overnight---umm, NO!! Auntie Meghan was a saint. She is one of those people who just knows what to do-when to step in. when to try something else, when to grab Jake. She was amazing and it made the day so very much better. I am so appreciative that she was there for both Jake and me! Thank you SOO much Aunt Han. You were so incredible that day. Both Meghan and I were telling him over and over to take deep breaths so we could leave! Around 6:45 we were allowed to leave and he fell asleep in the car again. I was pretty nervous about having him at home with all the sleepiness. That night we tried to have him sleep with us, but it didn't last too long. He was much more comfortable in his bed and slept thorough the entire night.

He had a slight dry cough the morning of the surgery that I didn't think much of but apparently anesthesia expedites any sickness like a cold and brings it to a head quickly. Since the surgery little man has been a mess. He has an awful cold and cough. Some of it is trauma and swelling from the surgery and some of it is this darn cold. In any event, he is miserable. Luckily I had a snow day yesterday so I could keep him home. It was one of those days that I would have rather been at school-that is how whiny and under the weather he is. Poor babe.

Bailey loves to bark when playing and she scared Jake when she barked because his ears are SO sensitive. He actually cried. Bobby and I need to remember to be quiet and mellow around Jake since he can hear everything! We can whisper his name and he looks right away-it is an amazing success!! Thanks for all of the positive thoughts and well wishes! Here's hoping my toddler is back to himself soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment