Friday, March 12, 2010

18 months! (and lots of updates)

Wow! How in the world do we have a 1 and 1/2 year old?! J is doing great! Apparently between all of his doctor's appointments (which have been slowing down thankfully!) I missed making and bringing him into his 15 month appointment. Oops! Here are his stats: 26 lbs 8 oz (60%) 33 1/4 in (80%) and a HUGE head in the 90%! His overall appointment was normal thank goodness. He has a few things coming up (of course!). He has to see a pediatric dentist because he has spots on his teeth and one discolored molar, which could be from a lack of iron, but also he has not have his teeth come in next to his two front teeth. His vampire teeth are breaking through right now and it looks like there isn't enough room for his second teeth next to his front teeth to come in. When I brought this up his ped. said that he might not have those teeth. Weird. He said it isn't like it is another odd "Jake thing" but that it sometimes happens. So we will see what the dentist says. He also has to have a spine x-ray done at Children's. While his ped. and PT were thinking scoliosis for a while they are thinking another spinal thing instead now. He has a strange muscle that has grown next to his spine that could or could not be concerning. I wasn't so worried about this since I have had it at the front of my mind for the past few months. Better to have (yet another) x-ray done to see what is going on and get whatever he needs done ASAP.

The poor kid had to get 3 shots this time. He usually responds really well but he lost it a few hours after we got home and didn't want to be held or moved and he just cried and cried and cried. He has become a bit of a picky eater, especially with meat. I have had a hard time getting protein in him. He loves all soy and veggie versions of food. What kid doesn't like Tyson chicken nuggets and spaghetti with meatballs??! His ped. suggested hiding the meat in things like ravioli and meatballs but everything we have tried J bites it, keeps it in his mouth and eventually lets it fall out of his mouth! Back to the favorites we go. Thankfully he loves cottage cheese, PB sandwiches, soy chicken nuggets, most fruits, and squashes. We are doing what we can. Clearly the kid isn't going hungry!

Last night, well technically it was this morning at 3:30 am, he woke up puking so here I am staying at home with him. He hasn't gotten sick since but has a high fever and goes between being very clingy and very sleepy. I always thought it would be so great to be at home while your child is sick because it is like a day off----W-R-O-N-G!! This is awful. I just want the poor kid to feel better. His cries are so very sad.

Last weekend Bobby took him to stay the night at his friends house while I hosted some girlfriends for a girl's night at our house and he was a perfect angel! He slept in a new place through the night and even slept in way later than he does at our house. I am so proud of him. All of the situations that have the potential to be a little hairy work out perfectly!

He had his big annual review with all of his therapists this week. We had 8 adults (including Bobby and I) there to talk about J. His OT, PT, and ST were all there plus his service coordinator and an intern working with the PT. The intern kicks J's butt with PT and he has made some serious growth in the past few weeks from working with him. When he is sitting down on our laps we can pull his arms upward and he will stand up for about 7 seconds on his own! This is a huge accomplishment! We are working with him on army crawling but he doesn't quite have the hang of things yet. It was nice to have all of his therapists there to talk about goals and were they want to go with him. Kids are usually only allowed 6 visits a month from all therapists combined due to funding and already there are trying to get him 8+. I really appreciate how much the therapists working with J advocate for him and his needs. Basically the themes from the meeting were that there are some serious personality traits coming out (stubbornness, independence, and a bit of laziness) from him that all of the therapists are seeing, and that he seems to have more serious sensory issues than was originally shared. His OT (who has only seen him 2 times) is behind the sensory idea but hasn't given me very many indications and ideas of next steps. It is hard to hear things form her when I only see her 1x per month. They are trying to increase the OT visits to 2-3x per month so that might help. It was really hard to sit in that meeting and hear so many "negative" things. Thankfully my skin is much tougher and I am more easily able to brush it off and focus on the positive than I was even a few months ago. Bobby has a harder time hearing that stuff because he is almost always working during his therapy so he misses seeing and hearing about how J is doing-except what I share and show him. We both have worked so hard to help each other see the positive and do what we can do to help J and it has been so wonderful. Bobby said the other night, which made my heart melt, "No matter how you are and who you are little man, you are perfect to us." We both have always felt that way but gosh I love hearing that said out loud. Anyway, I'll add a few pictures too. I haven't been nearly as good about taking them as I usually am so I have to be better! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment