Monday, November 15, 2010

Dentist

Well, the dentist was not even as bad as I had imagined! Jake did GREAT! Aside from the massive screaming when the over-enthusiastic assistant was brushing his teeth, he was very tolerant! The dentist told us about the three biggest issues in households where kids typically get teeth injuries-one was a coffee table and we were laughing because he missed his teeth by 3 inches when he feel on the coffee table this weekend! He even got the coolest stuffed animal elephant as a "prize"! He loves him and has taken a nap holding the elephant so tightly in his arms. Children's hospital is the best! He is never getting the little baby teeth he is missing on the top so right now we just wait until the adult teeth come in and see if they are there. He asked me if Down's syndrome has been ruled out since kids with Down's syndrome typically are missing teeth like Jake is.  I was dumbfounded he would ask me right out-aside from the fact that he has has so much genetic testing done I'm pretty sure they would have checked that out if they thought that. He is a dental assistant not a doctor. He must have sensed I was a little peeved because he quickly said that he didn't have any physical features of Down's syndrome. Ugh. Sometimes people can be so stupid. He has yet another tooth coming in in the back so that could explain why he is drooling all over and a bit under the weather.




I am feeling better about the Taos as the days go by but tonight I am talking to his PT about it. She was not able to make the meeting last Thursday when this was all discussed so I am curious to see what her opinion is. The whole point of the Taos is to give him more independence and have the feeling of weight-bearing though his legs without having someone hold on to him and guide him where to go. I know this is necessary but still-it feels SO invasive. I felt this way about the orthotics before he got those so I know we will adjust to the idea eventually. I hate that we now have something else that is an obvious "something is not right" piece to helping him. The key is HELPING him, I know. I have just needed to talk out how I am feeling to really come to appreciate that this sort of technology is available to help him. The cost is a whole different story. Developmental Pathways has a grant program where therapists can nominate families to receive money to help with co-pays. I can't imagine how much this is going to cost-on top of the theratogs. I should be getting a call from insurance in a couple of days. What must his insurance think? Every week they get a new claim! For now things are feeling a bit less overwhelming. Good thing because his MRI is right around the corner and we don't have time to get stuck on much before the next round.

No comments:

Post a Comment