Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Operation entertaimment inside day #2

Soooooo, it has been really cold here. And by really cold I mean so cold they canceled school for 2 days!! The wind chill last night was -40 degrees. Seriously. I walked Bailey yesterday for a total of 5 minutes and by the time I came in the door my eyelashes were frozen! It is so awesome that I have had 2 days off but I are pulling out everything I have up my sleeve to entertain Jake! It is funny because during J's last IFSP meeting two weeks ago (to make new goals with OT, PT, and speech) she asked me if I have any goals for him-obviously I said moving around, saying more speech sounds, babbling, etc. but I also said that I want him to be able to entertain himself and be engaged with toys for a certain period of time by himself. After I said it I thought it might not have sounded right but when I got a copy of the IFSP she had written what I said in very kind and loving words! Anyway, so it is humorous because I am DYING to have just a second to do something while he is entertaining himself. So, brilliantly enough I brought in a HUGE tub of old toys that I had packed away and waaah-laaa! Brand new entertainment!! He has been playing with these toys for over 2 hours (with me-of course). For once though he doesn't need me to play with him while he looks at every.single.toy and I have been able to eat lunch on my own and run to the bathroom without a serious freak-out.

It is making me a bit nostalgic to see all of these baby toys that he loved and loved and loved. Toys that were so good for him and that he used for an extended period of time because well, that's what Jake did. Like the colorful loop toy that was the very first thing he actually grabbed on to-even after session after session of therapy. When he saw it today he was thrilled-then just as quickly threw it off to the side-because he is "so" much bigger then that baby toy. Yes, this kid is growin' but loves to see new (though old) toys!


 

Earlier he took a really long bath-one where the water was literally cold by the end despite adding warm water twice. He was a rasiny, wrinkly mess but he was so entertained and happy so I guess you do what you have to!




 

I found some M & Ms that a student had given me for Christmas and have been trying with every ounce of me to get J-man to say, "mama". I swear (and so does Bobby-so I am not totally egocentric) that he says mama when he is crying-but heaven forbid he say it when he isn't crying. So, I say to do something-like give me a kiss-and he gets an M & M. I say to give me a hug-and he gets an M & M. I tell him to say mama-and he looks at me and smiles and claps. Nothing. So we go through it again-give me a kiss-M & M-give me a hug-M & M-say dog ("aw-wah")-M & M-say mama-claps and smiles. The key to his heart is now oreos and M & Ms so we'll keep on trying. 


Tomorrow we are back to the grind but only 2 days until the weekend gets here and we're heading up to a party at Uncle Matt's house. :) Happy Groundhogs Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment