Yesterday morning I had my growth ultrasound at 10 am. Oddly enough I didn't eat breakfast-I woke up late and had to monitor before my 10:00 ultrasound so I figured I would eat when I got back close to 11. Keep in mind that all I can think about is food so this was so off for me-in hindsight it was like a sign. :) The babies were estimated at 4 pounds 11 ounces and 3 pounds 4 ounces. Little baby B (Brooklynn!!) just didn't make the progress in 2 weeks that everyone felt she should....so Dr. Heyborne came in to take a look and I saw the most tangled cords that I could have ever imagined! I had never seen the cords on an ultrasound before. He did a doppler flow on both babies and then looked at me and said, "So, what do you think about having babies...today?" Although it was only 3 days off of the "big day" I had in my mind, I was shocked and scared. I told him that I trust his opinion and would do whatever he felt needed to happen. He said he didn't want to chance it or play with fire. They girls looked okay but they weren't going to benefit from being inside for 3 more days. I was wheeled out to the labor and delivery floor and the first nurse I saw said, "How are the girls doing?" and I burst into tears. I got back to my room, made all the calls that I needed to make and finished packing up my room. It was about 11:45 when my nurse came in and said, "How does 1:00 sound?" As in 1 hour and 45 minutes away! My doctor wasn't at the Swedish office yesterday but he made his way from the Highlands Ranch office so that he could deliver the babies and I couldn't have been happier about it.
So, I was able to take a shower and take a little bit of time to finish a puzzle I was working on before Bobby came, then Heather, and then my mom and dad. I am so thankful that they were all able to make it there and on time! It meant so much to me to have my best friend there too. My dad told me that he may have had a bit of a lead foot on their way down. They walked in right as Bobby and I were walking out to the OR. It was so wonderful to know that Bobby would have support when he was going with the girls to the NICU and that I would be able to see Heather and my parents right after I was finished. My favorite nurse, Kimberly was not working yesterday and she was supposed to be with me for my c-section on Friday. This is one more reason that she is my favorite (although I have lots of reasons!) she came in from home on her day off to come and be with me during the c-section. She was amazing. She calmed both Bobby and me down so much with telling us exactly what was going on. I appreciate her so much and cannot thank her enough for being with me during a time when I needed reassurance and support. She is such a great friend and nurse.
Kimberly took the camera so that Bobby didn't have to worry about pictures while feeling a tad nervous with the whole situation. It was really overwhelming. I am so proud of how well he handled everything and how he was able to hold it together and support me so much. He kept telling me what a great job I was doing and he was so concerned that I was feeling okay. The spinal that I got to numb my lower half wasn't bad! I honestly don't mind being poked so it really wasn't a big deal....it was what was coming afterwards that I was nervous about....BABIES!
They run the OR like a well-oiled machine! Everyone knows exactly what to do. Everyone was really kind and the anesthesiologist held my hand too when Bobby or Kimberly were checking on the babies or what else was going on. Kimberly was updating me telling me what was going on and I so appreciated knowing. We were inching closer and closer. I was so worried that I wouldn't know they were out because I had convinced myself they wouldn't cry-we didn't get to experience a cry from Jake right away so I thought that small c-section babies would be the same way. Kimberly said, "There almost out." and I heard the most wonderful cry in the world-followed a minute later by the second most wonderful cry in the world. Avery came out first followed by Brooklynn. I didn't even know that Brooklynn cried-I seriously thought it was the same baby until Kimberly told me, "That's Brooklynn!" It was amazing. Seeing Bobby's face was so amazing too. He and I shared a moment without needing to say it-this was the experience that we had been waiting for and it was perfect! I didn't know until later that Bobby got to cut both of their cords. I didn't know that was something that he would do so it was really special to hear that. I got to give each girl a kiss and have some quick cheek to cheek time.
Bobby went with the babies while Kimberly stayed with me. I don't know what I would have done without her. She was so calming. So my "entourage" went with the babies and there were tons of people with them-nurses, doctors, respiratory therapists....everyone took pictures so I am anxiously waiting to see what everyone caught on their cameras. It made the few pictures I saw so exciting since I didn't get to be there right away. About an hour after I was wheeled out I also got to go see the babies in the NICU. They looked great! Small but great! Avery had a CPAP on which forces air into their lungs and Brooklynn was under an oxygen bubble or hood. They both looked wonderful for being only a couple hours old. After we went back to my room for a while Bobby and I went to go see the babies and I got to get up and ride in a wheelchair. We spent a couple hours there and I got to do skin-to-skin holding with Avery. She was so happy! Her O2 was up and her heart rate was good. They put a CPAP on Brooklynn as we were leaving the NICU for the night. I called every time I was up pumping to check on them and they had a pretty mellow night.
After getting a lot of sleep (just kidding) we went to see them this morning and I got to hold Brooklynn for about and hour and a half! She was also just as happy as could be. She is such a strong little girl and was moving her head from side to side with the big CPAP on. This mama was feeling proud! There is a honeymoon period with preemies sometimes and they can be doing really well for the first 12+ hours and then their bodies get tired and need a break. They both had their O2 increased slowly over the entire few hours we were there this morning. We left right after Avery got her first bath. She was so mad! It was great to hear that strong little voice. They grunt all the time but the cries were amazing! Both girls have opened their eyes briefly too. :) Such beautiful little girls.
Just a little bit ago one of the doctors came to tell me that they had to intubate both babies because they were needing more and more oxygen and working so hard to keep up with breathing. I haven't seen them yet but I am planning on waddling my way down to see them in just a little bit. Bobby went home to shower and take a nap-we seriously got NO sleep last night. When he comes back he gets to be my nurse and help me take a shower and then we will go see these little girls. I know it is what is best for them and so they will do what they need to do do give the girls a break. I am just bummed because I think this means that I can't hold them again until they are not intubated anymore. I put up lots of pictures but I have many more. Thanks for all of your support and really kind words. It means so much to us!
My entourage in the NICU with the babies. It was the best feeling ever having all of that support. XO
Skin to skin with Avery.
oh libby..they are so cute. Im in love with those pictures. :)
ReplyDeleteLibby, I have tears of joy and happiness in looking at your fantastic pictures. Avery and Brooklyn are absolutely beautiful and lucky little girls to be born into such a wonderful, loving, caring, happy family. My love to all five of you. Grammy (Janie Smith)
ReplyDelete