Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Big Brother and 2 three week old babies!

I can't believe yesterday was three weeks since these little girls made their entrance into this world! Crazy how fast these days have gone. I haven't been as diligent with posting as I have meant to be...I suppose you could say I am a bit busy. I am able to do more with the girls-breastfeeding and bottle feeding both on top of pumping and it takes up a lot of time-before I know it, it is time to start all over again! Big things have happened in the last week but I haven't shared about big brother in a while so here goes some bragging!

I had Jake's IEP annual review for school today! It was nice to just focus on him for a couple of hours. His teachers have been so understanding with our situation. His 3 therapists and his lead teacher and I all met today to review old goals and make new ones for the rest of the year and into the summer. He is doing such great things! He is working on so much! The most impressive thing is that he is saying things for his teachers-many of his "words" are just the beginning sounds but he is doing "meow" for cat consistently and making the beginning sounds for horse and "wu wu" for a dog. He is also saying "wa" for "I want" something they just started on and he is picking up. His biggest motivation is of course, oreos. The kid will do anything for an oreo. :) He also has jobs each day with one of his teachers and he is working on completing tasks (something he is notorious for avoiding-and throwing things when he is done with his work) and he is doing his jobs with very few prompts! He knows what to do and gets to work. He really thrives on schedules and consistency. He is taking steps to the left when he is standing up-and he will also stand for 5 minutes at a table and play. He mimics his teachers and is participating in familiar activities and songs. He helps clean up toys at school. He engages with his teacher and his classmates too. He is doing so much more but those are the highlights! He is working on walking (they say he WILL walK independently at some point) and more with communication (signs and they use pictures for him to make choices). One of the more challenging things we are working on is not reinforcing him when he waves. He waves ALL THE TIME and it has to stop. He is only allowed to wave once to say hello and once to say goodbye. If he waves any other time, we have to ignore it and just engage in a conversation with him (i.e. Look at your blue car!). My social man is really distracted when saying hi to everyone that he won't refocus easily and it is dangerous when he is standing and drops a hand to wave. His teacher called him her classroom watch and alarm clock because he always looks at the door when someone comes in. He might be a little nosey like his mom-just sayin'. They love him and say he is just the easiest going little boy and he has really come out of his shell. He doesn't get upset when a teacher walks away from him anymore. I am so happy to hear that he is happy at school. Obviously his world is going to change a little bit in the next few weeks so they are going to keep a close eye on him (as if they don't already) and let me know how he is doing at school. I left feeling so darn proud of him. He is doing such a great job and working so hard for his teachers. I just love our little man.

Now on to the two little sweeties-big things have happened in the last week! Both girls are in open cribs! Avery has been in one for a while but Brooklynn just moved into one on Sunday night because she reached 4 pounds (yay, yay, yay!) and was doing a great job of maintaining her temp-and she's never looked back! Every day she is becoming more alert and she has her eyes open much more than the day before. She is eating 24 cal milk (3 times out of 8 times in a 12 hour shift) a few more calories than sister (Avery is on 22 cal) so that she can fatten up a little bit. She is wearing real clothes and getting a little chunk on her cheeks-which makes both of the girls look very similar--like they are twins! :) Both babies got their newborn hearing screening this morning and Avery passed but Brooklynn passed in only one ear-which they said was fine because she is still little and it is probably just fluid-same story as her big brother when he had his screening done. They will redo her screening before she goes home. Both girls got their first vaccine today and the synergist shot (for RSV). Brooklynn seems a little bit fussy today but Avery seems okay.

Avery is breaking out of here tomorrow or Friday! I can hardly believe it!!!!!!! I came in around 12 today and her nurse said, "Look at her face." Her feeding tube was removed last night! She has been doing every feeding by mouth! They have also weened down her oxygen a little more-to 30 (21 is room air) but she will most likely still go home on oxygen. I was told that 40% oxygen is 1/32 flow where Jake was on 1/8 and it hardly felt like anything. I love seeing her sweet face with one less thing on it! Her car seat test will be tomorrow and they told me to bring in a going home outfit. Holy crap-this is happening! The sad part is that I can't bring Avery back up here when she goes home and I come to see Brooklynn because of Jake and all of his exposure to germs at preschool and daycare. We will figure it out of course! It will be nice to just focus on Brooklynn while I am here though. This will be the only time in their lives when they don't have to share my attention! Brooklynn had a really big morning and did so well with feeding that she is right behind her sister. Just a few more feedings per day and she will be on the same road as sister. I am so happy and proud of our two little peas. They are working so hard too and I feel so blessed to be their mommy. Pictures to come later!

No comments:

Post a Comment