Today we went to the girl's Child Find evaluation. I couldn't have done it without my mom, so thank you mom. Brooklynn failed her hearing test. She had an ear infection not long ago so they think she just has extra fluid from that but I still have to go back in early November to have her rechecked so they can do the actual hearing test. I am calling the doctor tomorrow to ask about having her ears rechecked for fluid/more antibiotics/ear tubes (?) because at this point she has fluid just sitting in her ears (which I guess is a bit painful for some-but it doesn't seem to bother her) which is also a pool waiting for bacteria to come and infect her again. If we are having a winter full of ear infections with her, why not just have tubes put in? After all we have been through with Jake, this is a no biggie for me.
Brooklynn qualified for physical therapy once a week based mostly on her birth weight when I had her. 3.1 at 33 weeks 4 days qualifies any child apparently. As far as development, they agreed that she is about 4-5 weeks behind what Avery is doing right now-which makes sense since that was exactly what she was measuring at when I had her. She measured at 28 weeks when I was actually 33 weeks, 4 days. (A difference of 5 weeks 4 days) It makes sense-but it isn't easy.
I knew she would qualify. I just knew it. We have the same service coordinator and will have the same physical therapist too (yay!). I still have a card and gift card as a thank you for her to all she did for Jake but never got around to sending it. I am so lame. Looks like I'll have a WELCOME present too. :) I can't wait for her to see Jake's progress. It will be a little tricky to manage everyone at home while doing therapy for just Brooklynn so Bobby and I will do some creative balancing with everyone.
My mom texted me when she got home asking me if I felt good about today's results or if I was sad. I am honestly overall happy. I wanted her to qualify. I already said that I knew in my gut (which I have a learned through some tough time to trust) that she needs some intervention. She is behind...I know this-it isn't news to me. I just wanted someone else to tell me I am not crazy. I maybe hypersensitive to development and therapy but I know more than anyone how much of an advocate I have to be for my children. I am their voice. It is so powerful and sometimes feels so overwhelming. I also feel good about the idea that she will be (and Avery is too just by the power of being evaluated) on their radar and will be able to qualify for any service she may need (speech, occupational, etc.) in the future, including preschool qualifications like brother gets. Because in the back of mind I always will have "Dandy Walker" burned in my memory. It never goes away. My mind drifts occasionally...what if her cerebellum not completely fusing beings to impact things......It doesn't happen often but when it does I panic.
Tiny sister LOOOOOOVES the exersaucer. She also loves to bounce. It's in her soul.
My very favorite picture of Brooklynn ever. Ever. Ever.
Russell is eating food by himself. He is good at it. This is huge. (And he is a little dramatic and over the top about it-hense the spoon.)
Ha ha. Totally bothering her sister when she is sleeping. That's my girl-just like I'd bug my brother. Awesome.
Their eyes are crazy blue. They are getting lighter everyday.
Not waving so much is going well, as you can see.
Everyone had fun. Not. She was all kids of drama that day. In her defense she wasn't feeling good though.
Avery is loving the paci again. Trouble? Yep. And my blankie. She's such a swiper.
Cuddle bunny.











No comments:
Post a Comment