Saturday, September 7, 2013

Everybody Plays

Back in July I entered Jake in a contest called "Everybody Plays" by Infantino and Step 2, which are toy companies who have joined in their national campaign ad. The essay was about how you/your child teaches self acceptance in your family or in the community--and as soon as I read it, I thought I got this. How easy! Jake teaches our family acceptance every day. That is the easy part-but writing an essay in only 300 words-that was the hard part. I could write a 300 PAGE essay about all of the things this kid has taught me and our entire family. I just love this campaign. It is so inspiring to see that toy companies are sowing that it's ok to be different--and kids of all ages and stages play. It is so beautiful. I whipped it out in an hour and wished I could have said more.....



So I went home one day and check Instagram and I follow my very favorite blogger Kelle Hampton and I saw the gorgeous heart filled with quotes from all of the finalist and I couldn't have been more shocked to see MY quote in the heart--as a finalist! I even called my mom to make sure that sounded like my quote. They announced the winner soon....



Then I waited....and waited....and they announced the grand prize winner (who won a tip to San Diego with everything paid for!) and it is a great story. A little girl who has Down's syndrome and who beat leukemia--and who is adopted! She's a doll. Then I was contacted that Jake was one of the 50 selected to come to San Diego and be photographed by Kelle Hampton (can you tell I am BEYOND excited??) but we have to get there on our own. I could not pass up an opportunity like this. The 50 selected get to be featured in ads for 2014 for their upcoming products, which means that he could be on products, on their website, etc. So with the help of our wonderful and incredibly generous family, Jake and me are headed for two nights to San Diego on September 25-27. We are staying with Bobby's Aunt Kathy and she is being beyond generous and helpful. She is even finding passes for us to go to the San Diego Zoo and giving me good tips for the beach. I cannot wait. And I am meeting someone who I have followed and admired as a mom for years-and who is also photographing Jake! Kelle has a little girl with Down's syndrome and she wrote the most amazing and inspiring book, Bloom. I recommend it to everyone. It is just beautiful.

I am so excited to have the opportunity to share Jake. He is such an inspiring person. And to think that when I wrote the essay the boy wasn't taking steps. He blows my mind. I am so happy to get the time to spend just Jake and mama-and I have a feeling he will absolutely love it too.









No comments:

Post a Comment