Hey Handsome,
Another year....today you are 6. S-I-X. This has been a BIG year for you. I can't even list all of the things you have accomplished this past year. I am SO proud of you. You have worked so hard to do the things you have done. Six is big.
You have developed quite the reputation at Runyon. You are the secretary's favorite person ever. :) You have a secret little greeting and I was beyond shocked to see you go right up to her window at back to school night-knock-and wait for her as she came out to greet you--and you did your special (and secret) handshake with her. I am in awe of you, buddy. You live with such happiness that you spread to everyone. I could just die watching how you interact with everyone.
This week at my school I made a connection with another teacher who knows one of your former preschool teachers (benefit of working in your school district finally!!) and you know what they said about you? First thing-"Jake is so HAPPY!" I know this because I get to be with you all the time-but to have someone else affirm what I already know is just amazing. I wish everyone was able to see what beauty you see in everyone else. I know with absolution that so many people see the beauty in you, too.
You started walking this year. I wasn't sure if this would ever happen. I remember Mr. Juan at the Village telling me that you WOULD be a walker and I doubted him. Here you are again, proving me wrong. You ARE a walker. You are darn good at it too. You know how to turn directions and get where you want to go and quickly. At school you can't use your walker this year because you use it to slow yourself down and say "HI!" to everyone. It's adorable but not time-efficient. You've got things to do, big buddy!
You are so patient. You have two little people constantly knocking you out of the way and you always respond with a kind gesture. You kiss and hug like it is your JOB. You're growing so big and learning that you have an opinion and that it matters--which I love. You get frustrated but always in the end want to kiss everyone. It is the best.
You were born different. Something I can't explain or pinpoint. Some people are born kind, loving, gifted, and exceptional. You're the whole thing. You are the biggest gift I could have been given. Not only have you taught me everything I know about being a parent but also about being a teacher. I am a better person because of you, and I cannot thank you enough for that. You're a beautiful person, Jake. I am the most blessed person to have you to learn from. I love your gift of enjoying the very small tiny things (you still LOVE the dog food being put in the bin), your joy of the mundane that we so often forget is a blessing, and your forgiving heart. You are happy. Not just happy---but happy. You are special. You are kind and loving. You are smart. You blow me away with what you learn at school. You know know to recognize your own name, shapes, animals, friends, and putting words into sentences.
You love with your whole heart. Your hugs are the best things on the planet. Your body melts into mine and your sigh and lets me know that being in my arms is the place you want to be too.
If more people were born with your heart, this world would be the best place ever. I am so proud to have you as my son and to be your mama. You're the most incredible kid. Love you from the depths of my soul. Happy 6th birthday, love.
XOXO
Loved this article I read tonight. Sums up my feelings nearly perfectly.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maria-lin/special-needs-parenting_b_1314348.html
No comments:
Post a Comment