Friday, January 2, 2015

Ear Tubes and Adenoids

In October we had the girls evaluated for hearing at the Village for their upcoming evaluations for preschool and both girls failed their hearing tests. I had asked their pediatrician in the spring at their 2 year check up if I should take Brooklynn to the ENT because of her ear infections and he felt that she was doing well enough to skip that. I am furious that I didn't listen to my gut. Fast forward to October of 2014 and both girls had flat tympanograms (meaning their era drum doesn't vibrate because of fluid). I made an appointment with Peggy Kelley at Childrens (1. how could I not love her based on her name 2. she was the doctor that go things rolling for Jake and we will forever be in debt to her) We were able to have their surgeries on Christmas Eve or New Years Ever. Knowing that it would probably be their adenoids taken out too and lots of pain, we took the New Year Eve option. Uncle Andy came over bright and early on New Year's Eve to watch Jake and play hours of ball with him (Jake's best hours ever!!!) while Bobby and I juggled both girls entertaining them before their surgery. Luckily they had Frozen playing and quits and stuffed animals waiting for them. It was adorable. I was so hesitant to take them back to the OR since I had been through this with Jake and didn't ever want to do it again. I remember Jake's eyes rolling back in his head and I was scarred for life. From that one time on, every time Jake went under I sent him with a nurse to be put under.

The most incredible anesthesiologist walked into our lives. He started a relationship with both girls right away. He was kind, young, and funny. He just seemed to take such extra time making them feel good. I went with Avery first and was all dressed in scrubs. He was telling her how to blow up the balloon (with oxygen) and he coaxed her to put on the mask to put her to sleep without a fuss. He told her the story of Gilligan's Island. She fell right asleep (and I handed her off to Dr. Kelley because I didn't want to see what she looked like-it's so scary for me). I went back to hang out with Brooklynn and daddy. 30 min later they were ready for Brooklynn and I did the same routine with Brooklynn but the best part was she was creepily laughing when she went to sleep because the anesthesiologist was making her laugh with another silly story. I went to recovery and could hear Avery crying such a sad weird cry. She snuggled right up to me after loving on daddy for a while. We were expecting Brooklynn to be the same but no so much. Tiny too little has major SPICE. She was still under while having "night terrors". She would freak out for 30 seconds and be fine for 1 minute and then freak out for another 30 seconds. She would pull on her IV (and it had to be reinserted 2 times) and in general hit us and pull at anything she had hands on. It was awful. They gave her 2 shots of strong steroids to knock her out which didn't work....peanut is a fighter as usual. Eventually they took her IV out and sent us home. 2 kids with surgery at the same time...would not recommend. We had a rough few days. Brooklynn also had her tonsils shaved as well as adenoids taken out and tubes put in so it was extra fun with her. By the time their were ready for preschool things evened but it was a tough few days!
Adorable quilts and beannie babies the girls got when they got the the hospital. I LOVE Children's hospital!






Yay! Surgery!


Avery had a hard time leaving....she was so tired she made a bed on the floor while we were getting Brooklynn ready to leave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment