Monday, February 6, 2012

It REALLY is the little things!

Today has been a great day-off of a dramatic weekend! First, I have a fridge in my room again! My old one spent only about a week in my room before it wasn't working well and keeping things cool and then they didn't have any other fridges left. Not that it was a big deal because they have a fridge in the kitchen area which then we were told that it is a violation for privacy for people to keep personal food in there-and it was always in the way when they would stock the fridge. Today was the magical day when they brought in a new fridge just for this room! It is awesome not to have to worry if things would get taken out of the fridge in the kitchen and not put back. It's the little things!

Also, I got my IV out today too-after my doctor agreed that it isn't completely necessary right now-and I have juicy veins so even in an emergency I should be okay. I drink tons of water so I don't have dehydration issues. I had it put in this weekend with all of the drama so it was so nice to have it taken out. It's the little things!

Lastly, I got a water bottle all my own from here-I have to send my water bottle home with Bobby to was because I have been using the same water bottle for weeks now (my teammate Becky would be dying right now to know that!) and it is time for it to be washed! I feel like part of the in crowd with my new water bottle. I really am excited about these little things!

So this weekend was filled with lots of worry-but before I say anything, both babies look great and are doing wonderfully. It was a combination of doctors that I don't usually see and one of them being a bit more paranoid/cautious than other doctors. This can be a very good thing in some instances but it scared the crap out of me this weekend. Basically both babies had some dips-more than what they had been doing in the past and so I had an IV put in for contractions and was monitored for 20 hours. It was the longest day and night ever. They wanted to be sure that both babies were being closely watched-afterall, that is why I am here. I heard bits and pieces here and there about the nursery being told what was going on with me so they could be potentially ready and other things that made it seem like this could be it. On top of it all, it went well into the middle of the night and I was alone. There wasn't much for anyone to do..we just had to wait. My nurse was wonderful that night and was in and out sometimes every 15 minutes to move the monitors and find the babies again. This was one night I bet she was glad when 5 am rolled around and her shift was over! I slept that night from 10:30-11:30 and 4:45-6:00. I was so exhausted. The high risk dr. on call said things looked good and I was able to come off the monitors in the late morning. I seriously broke down and two of my very favorite nurses where there to talk me off the ledge and put things in perspective. I couldn't be more thankful that the two of them were working on Sunday. They were a gift that I needed that day. The nurses and doctors have told me that this is going to happen-they are bigger and squish each other's cords. I am glad that this first moment (hours) of panic ended well and I feel a bit more prepared for the next time this is sure to happen. I just don't want babies quite yet and like my wonderful nurse said today, I need to take it one day, and sometimes one minute, at a time.

Tomorrow I have a biophysical ultrasound at 1:00 so I am anxious to see them again after all the excitement this weekend! Hopefully I get some good pictures too!

No comments:

Post a Comment