As usual, lots is happening around here....I love that things are constantly changing but I find myself getting ahead of time and thinking about what's next....what's coming....what's new-I have really challenged myself to slow down, to live in the moment, to cherish this exact second that I will never have again. I won't ever have a newborn again-something Bobby and I have consciously decided. A family of 3 is so much more of a blessing than I could have ever imagined. It makes having these two precious babies all that more savory. Everyday is different than the one before, even if it just means that Brooklynn had 5 good feeding instead of 4. Brooklynn is the girl of the hour. She is changing so much.
Brooklynn had a doctor's appointment on Friday-big girl had a day all about her! It started off with an oxygen challenge to move her from 1/16th to 1/32nd of a liter of O2. She didn't end up passing but I have seen some huge improvements with her. She still gets blue around the mouth and of course that is where I panic-my heart skips a beat-and I flashback to looking at Jakey and literally watching the blue move from his lips to nose to eyes. Scary stuff. It is so strange to think that was our normal. Brooklynn weighed 5 pounds 11 ounces up about 5 ounces from being weighed 8 days before. She is eating well-the thing is that she is most successful when I am feeding her so she is my little girl (or as we say, "my twin, your twin") to feed during the night. She is doing less choking, gagging, and burping-all meaning that she is becoming a more efficient eater. It is a struggle though. We go back on Friday for their 2 month check up and 5 shots each. Whaaa?? Yes, 5! They say that giving them 5 shots in different areas is much better than combining them because they are less fussy. Ah yes, I remember the fussiness that comes with shots.
And of course because we were already there-and we don't go anywhere without the other-Avery was weighed too. She is a hefty 7 pounds 9 ounces! She has all the folds in her thighs that I have a hard time not pinching. :) She is doing great! She loves a different kind of pacifier now....which we discovered by accident but luckily Brooklynn loves the $30 pacifiers so I'm not feeling so wasteful! The nights are getting more predictable so we are all sleeping a little more soundly-oh who am I kidding-THEY are sleeping soundly. Bobby and I are up at every little squeek until we realize that is is actually not time to feed them again and it was sort of a false alarm. We are looking forward to a 5 hour stretch sometime in our near future. I can feel it coming. Avery could easily go 5 hours. She is eating 3 ounces at a time at night. The problem is that once sister starts crying the movements of her kicking her legs, crying, freaking out, etc. gets Avery going and once again they eat at the same.damn.time. Awesome (sarcasm). Once Brooklynn gets some weight on her we will be golden. Eating every 4 hours doesn't sound bad-it's that it really isn't 4 hours. By the time you feed, change, burp, pump (me), and make more bottles-it is 2.5 hours at best. I need to be more efficient. I have woken up from a dead sleep thinking I have still been attached to the pump-that's how tired I have been. Again, awesome (sarcasm). Good thing they are soooo worth it.
I went to work today for the first time. It was really hard to be away from the babies. I can't believe it has already been 8 weeks. The time went so quickly. Part of me feels like I was cheated a little because they were in the NICU for a few weeks when they should have been home with me...then the other part of me knows that I have been off of work since December 16th and I am very lucky (and grateful) to have the time I had to relax, enjoy focusing on my babies, and ultimately having 2 beautiful and healthy baby girls. Today was long-between pumping and being with my overly excited class (which made me feel loved!) and I tired. I got flowers from a few students and two matching owl outfits for my girls because of our owl themed classroom. Tomorrow is already Thursday and I am so glad that I came back on a short week. Everyone at work has been so supportive with my pumping and have been more than willing to jump in and help. I am so lucky to work with the best people! Over the next few weeks my mom is helping for a few weeks, Nana and Poppy are coming (and Nanni too!), for a week, and daddy is going to stay home for 8 days too. Oh boy! I am so thrilled to have so much support at home to help with the babies and make our lives easier until the end of the school year.






No comments:
Post a Comment