Surprisingly work has been going well and the morning routine has been easy to adjust to. I get up at 5:30 to pump, Bobby is up already working out (he's super dedicated and a great motivator) and then I get the girls up to feed them and I get ready plus all of their pounds of stuff I have to take with me in the morning. IN the meantime, Bobby gets ready and also gets Jake ready. We tag team getting everyone in the car. Somewhere in between there we pack breakfast, feed the dog, and let her out before we are (usually) out the door at 7:10. It's pretty wild but so far, so good. Don't you even think for a minute that I have forgotten make-up, eating breakfast, my computer, and cell phone. Overall, the kids are dropped off clean and fed and Bobby and I get to work on time so I feel like that's considered a success. On top of everything, I am really enjoying being at work. I love my class and I am always so excited to see the kids and spend time with them when I get home. Working makes me a much better (calm, patient, collected, and happy) mom.
I took the girl's 6 month pictures on Tuesday, their actual "6 month birthday" and realized that while I can get them to smile all the time now, it's nearly impossible to get them to smile at the same time. After taking what felt like 500 shots of them, I got a couple of good ones but everyone was fed up at the end. I figured I could redo it this weekend but the more I thought about it, this is where they are right now and so be it.....
Avery is sooo smiley!
Are you looking at me? I had nothing to do with that.
Little sis wanted to stand and I just leaned her against the couch. She's so strong! She is really hard to get a picture of because she never wants to sit down. She likes laying down or standing up--nothing in between!
Our pediatrician has Saturday hours so I took advantage of that and took them for their check up on September 1st. I need to save my vacation and sick time for this year-already I have an appointment for Jake to see a podiatrist on the 17th so days that I don't have to take off are great. Heather came over to hang out with Jake since Bobby was working and that way I didn't have to bring the whole three ringed circus with me. :) Thanks a million Heather! It was a longgggg wait and Jake would have been more than all set during the wait-he can't sit still for very long anymore-so it worked out perfectly.
Avery weighed 13 pounds 6 ounces (10% again) 24 1/4 inches long (8%) and a head size of 16 1/2 (35%-I guess I have big-headed babies!) Brooklynn weighed 10 pounds 9 ounces (-3% still) is 23 3/4 inches (3% and just 1/2 inch behind sister) and her head is 15 1/2 inches (-3%-on second thought, maybe not all of our children will have big heads!) Both girls checked out great and are very healthy. I had three questions-when to start food with Brooklynn and in what order for both girls, (I started sweet peas with Avery on Tuesday) if it is time to cry it out, and if they should been seen by developmental pathways, which is the same place Jake received his therapies when he was little. Basically, I haven't been overly attached to reading the books and updates I get about development with my "6 month olds" because they aren't very helpful. I have no idea what it's like to have a typical child and having preemies isn't any easier in terms of what they should be doing. I was able to answer "yes" for both girls to the developmental questions they asked with the exception of one for Brooklynn which was, "Do your child transfer toys between hands?" I don't think I have ever seen her do it but it doesn't mean she isn't doing it. She is doing everything Avery is doing but just on a smaller (and less aggressive!) scale. She is rolling both ways but doesn't do it too often. She seems to be our more mellow one who is just figuring it out for now. I brought up early intervention. I told the doctor that although I may be hypersensitive to the whole development thing, I need to make sure that every thing checks out with them and that we aren't stuck in a year saying that we wished that they would have been evaluated and been on someone's radar. I knew this wouldn't be an easy thing to tell Bobby that I talked about...while he 100% supports me and how much I know and advocate for our kids, I knew he would have hard time with this-as if I am admitting something is wrong. I am the best advocate for all of our kids and if that means that I have to be more proactive than our doctor, so be it. Bobby understand but I think that both of us are worried that we are going down the same path we went down with Jake. We don't want anything to be wrong and we don't want to do this again but we also know, better than most, the resources available and what good can come. So I am setting up an evaluation for both girls but mostly for Brooklynn and we shall see what comes of it.
Waiting f-o-r-e-v-e-r at the doctor. They were really good until the end.
The doctor said we can start solids with Brooklynn in 4 weeks or so since she is so tiny but that doing rice cereal was okay to continue. Avery can have solids anytime now, which is good because I have been giving them to her for a few days now. She doesn't like sweet peas by themselves but loves them in rice cereal. She is quite the eater and does a great job! Last night I tried peaches (fresh ones!) and she wasn't too much of a fan but this morning liked them mixed with oatmeal. My mom reminded me that most babies don't like the first tastes of food so to be patient and give her time. I am making my own baby food and I am really excited about it. I gave Avery jarred peas but form here on out I am going to try to make most things they eat. I am looking forward to it!
Lastly, Bobby has been saying for a few weeks that it is probably time to let them "CIO" (cry it out) and being the softy I am, I keep saying, "Yea, in a few weeks we will." (just trying to deflect what I know needs to happen) I was doing great letting Avery cry it out...and it was working but then she got her sinus infection and I was feeling bad so I haven't been letting her cry it out as much. Bobby said he thinks they are both figuring out that when they cry we come running-which is probably true. Bobby told me to ask the doctor and he said, "Yep! Let them cry it out!" Because they are 6 months old, I also decided that Brooklynn should sleep in her room with Avery (Thanks to our wonderful friends for lending us the other crib!) and Saturday night was the deadline I gave myself. Unfortunately, I didn't anticipate what a hard time they would have with their shots. They did fine with their 2 month and 4 month shots but this time has been rough. Really rough. They also got the first round of the flu shot-they go back with big brother in 4 weeks for the 2nd round and Jake's first round. They have been crazy fussy, crying, upset, hard to put down, and in general a mess. The good thing is they haven't been eating much so I have been able to stay ahead of them with milk. They want to be held which I love but it isn't practical when you have 2 babies wanting to be held, a preschooler, and have to pump. Thank goodness Bobby has been home because I couldn't have done it without him. He's such a helpful and good daddy. Saturday night went well-both girls were loaded with meds and slept pretty well. They both got up twice. Last night was impossible to put Brooklynn down. Avery was asleep, I tried to let Brooklynn CIO but she woke Avery up and both were crying. It was a mess for about an hour. Finally Brooklynn fell asleep in our room and woke up about 3 hours later but.....then she slept for 6.5 hours! She woke up, ate, and went right back to sleep. Sister woke up twice, then again this morning and also went back to sleep. In general, they are getting easier to put to sleep but having them in the same room brings up new challenges that we have to push through. I am ready to have our room back to ourselves. We have been tip-toeing, shhhing, and not able to get ready with the lights on for months. I can't wait to actually hang out and talk before bed!
Jake had back to school night on Thursday and I took the whole circus with me. It was great to see Jake's classroom again. I was taken back to this time last year when I went to his back to school night. I was soooo sick and was sitting in his class only thinking about not throwing up. This year, I had 3 kids with me!! Jake was wheeled around in the stroller acting like he owned the frickin place. He's handing out high fives and blowing kisses. I had 10-15 different people, other parents included, who said "He is the most smiley and happy kid I've ever met." It felt so good to know that he shows his true personality even when we aren't there. He is doing so well. His physical therapist said he is walking around the class pushing a chair but that he is ready for a walker so I am in the process of getting a walker for him and getting him new orthotics. He said Jake is really motivated by the other kids in the class. He will play cars (duh!) at a table and knock over blocks with other kids (while standing at the table independently) for a really long time but when he plays with Mr. Juan alone he is over it in a few minutes. What a switch! My kid, who only liked adults, likes kids now! I saw him watching and laughing at the kids who were there at back to school night and it was so awesome! I couldn't feel more proud of my big boy. Who, by the way, will be F-O-U-R a week from today!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are taking him to the zoo next weekend to celebrate. :)
I have never heard Avery laugh like this! I was lucky enough to have my phone handy and caught it on video!
Hee hee. She's so tiny she fits in Jake's car basket!
Trying out our outfits for the BRONCOS games! Brooks was sleeping but she has a cheerleader outfit too!
Avery is showing off how well she can sit up now! What a big girl!







No comments:
Post a Comment