When Bobby says, "You haven't posted in a while..." I know I need to post! For a while I haven't had anything to update-which is actually a really, really good thing!
School is out for the summer! I couldn't be more excited to spend 8 weeks with my little buddy. Between our first week of summer last week and a fun bachelorette weekend for my best friend I have been busy and haven't really felt like I have even been around Jake in a while. When I got home yesterday I wasn't sure if Jake would ignore me because he always loves Bobby after he spends a lot of time with him-or if he would be so exited to see me. I missed him like crazy so it was WONDERFUL when I walked in the door and it was pure excitement. He would not stop hugging me and pulling away and looking at me-he would laugh and go in for another hug. He is so precious!
He is moving all over the place! He was beginning to scoot on his bottom on the tile and could go pretty fast but he has figured out how to scoot on the carpet and he is loving moving around on his own. The dog bowl and cabinets are his favorite and will get him to move really quickly! Luckily Bailey is very sweet with Jake and doesn't nip or anything when Jake is in her business when she is eating and drinking. She couldn't be a better dog! :)
He has his Taos walker adjusted last week and I think it will be a lot better for him. He has grown an inch between his hip and knee in just a couple of months. Whenever anyone sees him they say just how long and tall he is-it is hard for us to see because we are with him all the time. She moved down a piece of the orthotic around his knee and hopefully it will be more comfortable for him. He is still hanging in it but he is also bouncing in it a lot too because he loves to bounce.
Today his PT came over with a borrowed walker that looks more like a waler for the elderly but the vertical bar is in the back and the hand grips are on this side. Since the Taos isn't working very week she has a hunch that he will do better with this walker since he doesn't mind holding on to things while walking but all of the walking toys are too low to the ground for him to do any decent steps. Knowing exactly how Jake is, it went about as well as it could have-he hates to feel unsafe or unsupported. It took him months and month of swinging to actually like swinging-but it is only for a few minutes. He did a great job with standing and holding on to the handle grips. He doesn't totally understand that if he lets go he will fall but I think he is going to catch on quickly. Our next steps are just holding on a standing with the walker-supporting himself. We will work more on taking a few steps but I will put him in his Theratogs (the "second skin") and see if he feels more supported with the tightness of the Theratogs. It is all such a trial and error but hopefully we will get him moving more and more by himself.
Friday he has his evaluation for preschool next year! I have no idea what to expect but the appointment is 4 hours long-I can't imagine what in the world they will be evaluating for 4 hours. I guess we will see... It is exciting but it feels like this conversation about preschool and next steps for Jake was sooo far away and now it is here. I have very mixed emotions about this but I also know that this is going to happen and this is the very best thing ever for my little trooper. He is seriously an angel face and I adore him so much. More to come on Friday with some pictures of him in his new walker too!
No comments:
Post a Comment