Both girls are doing amazingly well! So well that at the end of this week I felt the need to wash all of the preemie and newborn clothes that we have as well as burp cloths, blankets, etc. They will be home before we know it! As of last night, Avery weighed 4 pounds 11 ounces (she was steady at 4lb 10oz for a few days). She has had her IV out for a couple of days and it is so wonderful to hold her because you don't have to be overly cautious at pulling on any wires. Trust me, there are plenty of wires! I feel like I can hold her more which is so nice! She is wearing big girl clothes! She is eating over 40oz of breast milk and is just beginning to nipple (stop giggling!) her bottles. She needs to be nippling 90% of her feeds at all 8 feedings before going home. Last night she was moved to an open air crib! She is still on O2 but doing really well. It isn't uncommon for preemies at this altitude to go home on O2. It makes me a little sad because we have been through this already and I hate the O2 tank with all my heart. Hopefully it will be short and sweet. This morning they took her O2 pulse ox off and will check it Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. They must feel like she is doing well enough to not have to watch it all the time. She is doing so well! She is starting to latch on when breast feeding (nuzzling) for a very brief time but she is starting to figure it out! If only she would quit sneezing and spilling the milk out of her mouth. This seems to happen a lot. She has the Russell sneeze (she sneezes multiple times in a row) which is pretty darn cute!
Brooklynn is a little power house girl! She is up to.............3 pounds 9.5 ounces!!!! She is eating 27ml (30 is an ounce) of breast milk at every feeding! She is getting her IV out today or tomorrow!! I cannot wait to be able to hold her in an easier way too. If her vein doesn't last with the IV they will just pull it out and not put it back in. She has been doing the most amazing job with growing and feeding! I have also started to nuzzle her-she seems like she has a stronger suck but it is harder to catch her awake when she might want to try. She loves to hold on to anything-fingers, tubes, blankets. She is such a sweet little girl. I can't wait to see her in big girl clothes too! Although the preemie clothes will take a little bit to fit her. Soon the sisters can be next to each other more often and I can't wait for that. They do so well when they are next to each other. Today Brooklynn had her whole tiny arm over her head to sleep. I love watching her positions. She loves her hands out so that she can grab things and put her arms where she wants. I am so happy because they still have not needed any donor breast milk and they only get formula to add calories to my milk. It is also nice because there are less things that need to be done with the girls so they room is quiet and the girls can sleep and grow.
Avery getting her bath! She is so tiny I had no idea what I was doing but my awesome nurse showed me how to do a swaddle bath and Avery was loving it! They get 1 bath per week so I can't wait to do it again!
She seriously loved it.
Brooklynn...not so much but she tolerated it. I was not as organized and she looks a little worried in all of the pictures!
I got to hold them together for only the second time ever! I can't wait to do it more. It was wonderful!
This picture is a little dark because the lighting is terrible in here and because I blinded them with the flash too many times and I was feeling bad!
Avery
Holding Avery while Daddy held Brooklynn after her bath. We love this time with our girls.
Brooklynn and Daddy
My parents came down to visit the girls (and to keep me company!) on Friday. It was wonderful to show off the girls since so much has changed in 10 days!
Avery in her open air crib this morning.
Brooklynn loves her little hands. So sweet and tiny. <3

No comments:
Post a Comment