Friday, January 18, 2013

Kinder-holy crap-garten

Well, it's happening. We're officially sending our baby off to kindergarten next year. I went to a meeting with his teacher this week-and while I tried to compose myself-I cried. Not because I have a baby going to kindergarten, but because there is so much going on and I want to trust the system but I...just don't...yet.

Basically staying at the Village, even if we are paying ourselves, isn't an option because of his age. They do not take his cognitive abilities and needs into consideration. I am still digesting this. While we have been in turmoil this last week deciding what to do, I think we have made a decision. It's not for the rest of his life but it feels like a huge decision right now.

I don't know if we have made the right decision or not but I know that we will figure it out. Things always work out. Always. We have decided that we need to think about the best thing for Jake, which is sometimes hard to think about when my own feelings come into play. It seems so obvious to put his needs first but I also need to think about my access to him and asking myself if I am being fair to both of us by having him close to me at my school. I'd be able to check in on him but I would be confusing and disrupting him. I would want to ask his teachers about him all the time and that isn't fair. He would also have to go to a different daycare for the rest of the day which is not a fair transition for him if he doesn't have to...

He's going to go to a school in Littleton. I have the meeting for the transition meeting to kindergarten on Thursday of this upcoming week where I will push hard for times to observe the PACE program (severe special needs program) in a couple schools which I have heard wonderful things about. Typically they like children to go to their home school but they will make exceptions if there is a better fit for a family (aka-the parents are a pain in the butt and truly advocate for their kids). It is between Ben Franklin, Mark Twain, and Runyon-which are the order they were recommended to me by 3 different teachers/therapists at Jake's school. Mama bear will come out on Thursday. I'm ready. I'm going to fight for my boy, and for us to get what he needs and what we need out of his school.

3:45 am last Saturday morning......trying to go back to sleep....just got up to pump and to feed a baby (it all runs together) in a deepish sleep and BANG BANG! Bobby shot out of bed like nothing and I was trying (silently) to tell him to get the baseball bat next to our bed but he went to Jake's room but it all happened so fast. On the floor was our little cutie pie who got out of bed and was waving to his daddy. So cute---oh wait, it was 3:45 and not so cute. Fast forward to 6 night later and it has happened 4/6 nights. We are soooooo screwed. I have no idea how he is doing it. The only way he can get down from something is to go head first so I can only imagine the hot mess that happens in his room when he gets off of his bed at night. He refuses to go to bed when we out him down. 7:30 is no longer an acceptable bed time because he screws around throwing everything off his bed and slamming his blinds until 9:00 each night. He's got the right idea though because he has Bobby and me taking turns going into his room every 15 minutes until he finally falls asleep. Jake-one, parents-none (wrapped around his finger). We are rocking this parenting thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment