I don't, no, I don't, no, I don't, no, I don't
No, I don't, It's true
I don't, no, I don't no, I don't, no, I don't want anybody else but you
And if you were to ask me
After all that we've been through
Still believe in magic
Oh yes I do
Coldplay has a new song out called "Magic" and it is by far one of our favorite songs....because it reminds us so much of how well feel about Jake. He is magic. He has been doing so much that I cannot believe that he is still our Jake. Listen to it now!
About two months ago Jake's PT suggested that we go and see an eye doctor because she felt like he was having a hard time with depth perception-not able to see steps and catching balls. That same week his OT at school recommended that he see an eye doctor as well. I have a huge LOVE relationship with Children's hospital so I knew that was where I wanted to take him. 4 weeks later.....they eye doctor was amazing. ALong with everyone else, I was curious how they would test the eye sight of a 5 year old with special needs. The doctor had a light and held up lens after lens and looked in his eye with a light while Jake was being distracted by a super cool mom doing jumping jacks in the back. Hey, it's what I'm here for. All in all it took the dr. less than 30 seconds to say. "Here's the problem. Hats off to you, your PT, OT, and teachers at his school for figuring this out." I am not good with scale in the eye world but to put this in perspective, average kids see at a +1 and Jake is a +9.75. Not even knowing the scale---that isn't good. Dr. Dan showed me what Jake sees and it is terrible. He sees big blurry shadows and nothing more. He loves everyone and is super trusting with where he is walking by temperament--thank God. His attention has been a huge question between pre-K and kinder and we are anxiously awaiting a good judge of how glasses impact Jake's ability to focus.
We had Jake's big tri-annual IEP meeting at the beginning of March and it was amazing and exhausting. Jake is doing BIG things--things he isn't doing at home. We make things too easy on our boy. He knows the circle shape, he matches colors, animals, familiar faces to names, he matches his letter "J" to the first part of his name, he recognizes his name from a group of different names, and the list goes on and on. JAKE?!! I am one proud mama. Next step is getting an android tablet for him to use 100% of the time for communication only. He has to use it at home, school, and in the community. He used one for 10 days and he was a pro at finding and using the button which said, "My name is Jake.". It was his favorite. :)
Walking is going well! He is walking 70+ steps when he has his orthotics in. He is walking with his walker less and less at school. He only needs it Thursdays and Fridays when he is pooped out from walking. The truth is he does more work when he can't stop to say "hi" to 10 people on his way to speech when he has his walker.
He is seriously our magic. Love this little boy.
We were invited to go to a special show with an incredible magician for kids with specials needs. They were both incredible and so kind. Jake DIED laughing!
Sleeping in Coral Gables. He slept anywhere. We are so lucky he was so easy going!
I'm a little jealous but he got to go to the Everglades with some of his favorite people int he world!
The day we got home from FL he got his glasses and he has been a ROCKSTAR! He leaves them on (with minimal issues-which have been resolved) and seems to really love them. He cries when we taken them off at night. Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
Opening day for baseball!!!!



No comments:
Post a Comment